Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

iPad: Journalism’s White Knight?

For months, I have read predictions on the wonder that is the iPad and what it will mean for journalism. Some media critics hypothesized that newspaper apps would draw readers back to traditional media outlets. The Online Journalism Review ran a story in January questioning if the iPad would “save” journalism. Robert Niles explored the issue but ultimately concluded that better content, regardless of platform or payment, would keep the industry going. A surveyreleased in May found 50 percent of iPad users read a newspaper on the device, which is about three times more than consumers of other e-readers.

This week I had the good fortune to become an iPad owner and explore my own thoughts on the device. As a preface to this post, I am not a tech person, nor am I an Apple user, aside from an iPod. I do not get excited about gadgets or devices. I couldn’t figure out how to set up TiVo in my last apartment. The ball on my Blackberry has been broken for months, and I don’t particularly care. I have plenty of ways to check email and the Web; why would I need one more device?


It was a gift, intended so I could witness the journalism revolution firsthand. After six days, my feeling toward the iPad is … I love it. I love it so much and I can’t figure out why. She’s pretty, and she’ll be even prettier when I get her a fancy carrying case. I’ve named her (the way you’d name a car or a gnome). The apps I've downloaded so far are:

NPR

iBooks

The New York Times

The Wall Street Journal

Netflix

Facebook

Lastfm

Epicurious

Twitterific

SeaGlass (a game)

Aside from the addictive nature of SeaGlass, there isn’t anything I do on the iPad that I don’t already do on my laptop. But, there’s something about being able to hold it in my hands. It feels like a more personal interaction. Also, I know it will be great for traveling. I plan to download my first book to it for an upcoming road trip.

As for journalism and the iPad, my thought right now is that it is not going to “save” journalism. The New York Times app is useful in pairing down the mass of material on the Web, but the stories are the same and the layout and accompanying photos and graphics are fundamentally the same. The Wall Street Journal app is very frustrating to use. By the time the material has finished downloading I’ve moved on to 10 other things. Again, the content is the same as what shows up at my door every morning.

As I sat down to write this post, a study popped up on Romenesko: “Study: iPad Threatens Dedicated e-Reader Market.” A survey by Resolve Market Research, and written up on Mashable, found users view the iPad as a toy, a luxury item, and something that is more likely to put e-readers and gaming devices out of business before it causes the extinction of the laptop. Interesting. As far as e-readers, I think it depends on what you want out of the experience. My Mom thinks the iPad is pretty cool but as far as reading a book, I’m sure she’d stick with her Kindle. The screen is easier on the eyes and the device stays true to the experience of reading. It’s simple; it doesn’t need bells or whistles. As for a gaming device, the iPad is significantly more expensive than a Nintendo DS and other handheld devices, and the Resolve study found people prefer to play on traditional gaming systems. I think another drawback to the iPad, in a gaming context, is that two people can’t enjoy the device at the same time.

And that's OK with me. Zoila and I are doing just fine racking up points on SeaGlass and browsing through cupcake recipes on Epicurious.

No comments:

Post a Comment